When I was a kid, I was kind of a freak about chocolate and mint.  Mint chocolate chip ice cream was the ice cream flavor; there were no oth...

EXTREME GRASSHOPPER PIE

When I was a kid, I was kind of a freak about chocolate and mint.  Mint chocolate chip ice cream was the ice cream flavor; there were no others.


Thin Mints were my Girl Scout Cookie of choice.  And forget about it when Andes Mints were in the picture!  Besides the breadsticks, Andes Mints were my favorite part about going to The Olive Garden.  I don’t even know if they still provide Andes Mints at the end of the meal, but if they don’t, they should.

And when it came to birthdays, I was not much of a cake eater, so I very often asked my mom to make grasshopper pie for my birthday dessert.  (Yes, couple that with the mint chocolate chip ice cream, and it was a little over the top!)

While I’m not as much of a freak about chocolate and mint as I used to be, grasshopper pie has always remained one of my favorites.  Since today’s world is all about being extreme, I thought I’d take my mom’s grasshopper pie recipe to the next level with this Extreme Grasshopper Pie – a Mint Oreo crust, topped with a creamy mint chocolate ganache, covered with fluffy minty filling, and topped with Andes Baking Chips.  A mint chocolate lover’s dream dessert!

This is a pretty straightforward recipe, but I’d say if there is a “tricky” part, it’s the whipped cream.  If you don’t have a lot of experience whipping cream, it’s very easy to over whip.  I have over whipped when using a stand mixer to make whipped cream.  And I think that was because it just seemed more difficult to judge the consistency of the cream.

Since that incident, I’ve gone back to using my hand mixer to whip cream.  Using a hand mixer enables me to feel when the cream is getting thicker, and it’s also a bit easier to see how it looks.  For this recipe, we want to whip the cream until it’s a little stiff, so a bit beyond the nice creamy texture you’d generally see in a whipped cream.

Ingredients

  • Crust
  • 16 Mint Oreo cookies roughly chopped or broken
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
  • Ganache
  • 8 ounces high quality semisweet chocolate (chips are fine)
  • ½ cup heavy whipping cream
  • ¼ teaspoon mint extract
  • Filling
  • ½ cup milk
  • 20 large marshmallows
  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • ¾ ounce crème de cacao liqueur
  • ¾ ounce crème de menthe liqueur
  • Topping
  • ¼ cup Andes Baking Chips
  • Chocolate syrup optional

Instructions

  1. Crust
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  3. Grind cookies in a food processor until crumbs are a fine consistency.
  4. Sprinkle melted butter over crumbs and pulse food processor to incorporate butter completely.
  5. Spread the mixture into a 9-inch pie plate and press crumbs into an even layer on the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
  6. Bake the crust for 10 minutes and let cool completely.
  7. Ganache
  8. Cook the heavy cream and chocolate in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally.
  9. When chocolate is thoroughly melted, stir in the mint extract.
  10. Spread ganache over the base of the cooled crust at a thickness of about 1/4". You will have some left over.
  11. Filling
  12. Heat the milk in a large pot over medium-low heat until milk is simmering.
  13. Reduce heat to low and add marshmallows. Stir until marshmallows are melted.
  14. Place pot in a bowl of shallow ice water to chill.
  15. While the marshmallow mixture is chilling, whip the heavy cream until stiff.
  16. Fold the whipped cream into the chilled marshmallow mixture.
  17. Mix in the liqueurs until thoroughly combined and no green streaks remain.
  18. Spread filling into the cookie crust over the ganache.
  19. Top with Andes Baking chips and drizzle with chocolate syrup.
  20. Freeze pie until ready to serve. Remove from freezer approximately 15 minutes prior to serving.


thanks done share recipes to : www.worthwhisking.com/extreme-grasshopper-pie/

0 comments:

close